Had surgery to remove wrist replacement. Fingers bruised and swollen. Should I go back to the surgeon?

Ihad surgery last Tuesday to remove a wrist replacement that went wrong. i am in a back cast , all my fingers are bruised and swollen which is what i would expect but I have severe bruising all around my elbow and this is getting worse.Should i go back to see the surgeon on Monday?
Posted Fri, 19 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 1 hour later
thanks for the query

It is important to see the surgeon as soon as possible and as a matter of urgency. There is a common complication related to casts known as compartment syndrome in which the pressure in a muscular compartment is elevated leading to compression of nerves and vessels and ultimately loss of function.

Compartment syndrome should be ruled out immediately. Please see your surgeon immediately.

Hope this answers your query. If you have further query, i will be glad to help.
Best regards
Follow-up: Had surgery to remove wrist replacement. Fingers bruised and swollen. Should I go back to the surgeon? 8 hours later
Hi Dr Achuuo Ascensius
It is only a half cast but I have a slight numbness in the last digit of my thumb. The hospital does not deal with things at weekend. can i wait till tomorrow or do i need to go to the emergency hospital?
thank you for your reply
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 17 minutes later
Hello XXXXX,
thanks once more for the query

I will like to understand what you mean by half cast? Are you implying that the cast is a a short cast that does not go from your palm or wrist to the shoulder but is circular all round the forearm and or arm or
do you imply that it does not completely encircles the arm or fore arm (that is the cast is in the form of a c around the arm or forearm)

Well, complication is more likely to occur if the cast is completely encircling a giving portion of the arm or forearm no matter the length. The symptoms you complain of are more likely t be due to compartment syndrome if they developed or got worsen after the cast was placed. In case of compartment syndrome, time is crucial and if you do have severe pains, you will need to go to the E.R as soon as possible.

Hope this answers your query. If you do not have further query, you could close the discussion and rate the answers.

Best regars