Ask a Urologist   »  

Had surgery for prolapsed hemorrhoid. Why is there pulse sensation in anus? Related to hemorrhoids?

25 years ago I had surgery for a prolapsed hemorrhoid and since then have not had any reoccurence. However in just the last 6 weeks I have experienced a gentle pulsing sensation in my anus which I feel maybe a hemorrhoid developing. I am now a 71year old Pensioner and the thought of another hemorrhoid operation down the track is not something I wish to contemplate. As yet I have not visited my Doctor as I feel there is possibly a simple resolution before becoming involved with many expensive specialists. Please can you give me some advice.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 3 hours later

From the symptoms that you have described it looks like the hemorrhoids are recurring. Straining during bowel movements can cause the hemorrhoids to recur.

First of all lifestyle measures need to be incorporated. You should increase the fiber in your diet by eating fruits and vegetables. Just make sure to increase your fluid intake when you increase your fiber in the diet.

You can also sit in hot sitz bath by sitting in a shallow bucket with hot water three times a day. The heat would help in relieving the discomfort and pain of the hemorrhoids. However for specific treatment, you have to consult a surgeon. Some of the preferred methods are injection sclerotherapy, rubber band ligation and by surgical method like hemorrhoidectomy.

Nowadays laser coagulation and infrared photocoagulation are also used. Recurrence after infrared photocoagulation are less.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.