Had surgery and have lump in vein on arm. Is it a blood clot or something else?

I had surgery 2 mos. ago and now I have a lump in my vein in my arm. The doc. said it was probably a hemotology and would go away but it hasn't. I don't think it is connected to surgery because I remeber picking up something and feeling a sharp pain in my arm and then I noticed a very large lun=mp the next day. It is not going away and I don't want surgery but am wondering if a blood clot could be there a break loose.
Posted Sun, 7 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 35 minutes later
Dear patient

thanks for your concerns. If it is a solid pea sizedinduration within the vein it may be a superficial thrombophlebitis (initial inflammation and clot in a vein) which can happen after trauma including iv placement. usually are benign and no specific treatment is confirm, I would have yourphysician take a look and if in doubt venous ultrasound can aid

truly yours

Dr Brenes Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN