Had stung in groin area while using electric razor. Feeling painful, bruised and sensitive. How long will it take to heal?

I was using an electric razor to trim my groin area when I sneezed and jerked the razor too close to the skin on the base of my penis towards my scrotum. At first it stung a little and then it stopped. The next day it became painful to feel my underwear or leg brush up against the irritated area. Upon further inspection this area had turned red. Another day later it has turned dark red and very sensitive. I've been applying Neosporin and Vaseline. It looks like rug burn almost. It never bled. I couldn't and still can't see any cuts. But it's very dark red. What should I do to help it heal quickly and how long will it take to heal?
Posted Tue, 24 Jul 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.
Photographdps sent by you suggest local inflammation of skin.
Just apply ice over it for 4 to 5 minutes three to four times a day and take ibuprofen 600 mg three times a day.
You should be alright in next couple of days.
If your problem worsens,then you might have to visit your doctor to look for  local infection and a possible course of antibiotic.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Follow-up: Had stung in groin area while using electric razor. Feeling painful, bruised and sensitive. How long will it take to heal? 1 hour later
I've attached two clearer pictures. I just want to make sure there is no mistake or confusion. Applying vaseline makes it not sting or hurt when anything rubs against it. Otherwise it is very sensitive. What exactly is inflammation and is this different than an abrasion? Can I still apply vaseline? And can I substitute Aleve (Naproxen Sodium) if I don't have ibuprofen? Thanks for your advice.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 8 minutes later
You can apply Vaseline.
Inflammation is the redness caused locally by abrasion or any injury
It is a natural response of body.
It is better if you take ibuprofen.
It is easily available OTC product.
Till then,you may take naproxen.