Had stroke, behaving abnormally. What are the chances of brain damage from blood pressure or a possible tumor?

Really, you can check this? I live in a condo with my 56 year old mother. She is obsessed with political internet and hates my boyfriend. He says that she is projecting her mistakes on me. She does do that to all of my siblings and appears to be exremely co-dependent. I know that she is afraid of doing anything at thing point. Even if I pulled money out of my 401K to help her to get a place of her own, she will not go past today. I am mostly concerned with her mental state. A half year back, she suffered a stoke, I think, while we grocery shopped. She refused to go to the doctor and went to smoke on the patio.... I got her to go to the doctor and they put her on oxygen after she sat in the waiting room beligerent for a long time. I didn't know what was up< but I got her there. My doctor asked her a few questions and asked her to get a brain scan on the second visit that my mom got on her own. What do you think about brain damage from prolonged untreated blood pressure or a possible tumor? She says she smells things in an angry way (in our apartment).
Posted Thu, 2 Aug 2012 in Stroke
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 4 hours later

I appreciate your concerns about your mother who is unable to adapt to the changing trends. They are dual things to look at one is her worsening medical condition and social imbalance.

Untreated high blood pressure and smoking for years are huge risk factors towards her illness. They need to be addressed quickly to stop the progression of her medical condition. The blood supply to the brain is so good even if one vessel blocks the other tries to help that part of the brain. However we should be cautious when there was already a stroke. It further leads to many more strokes which may not be symptomatic. The stroke can impair her physcial and mental functions because of shrinkage in brain volume. We should not waste time in getting right treatment for her at this stage. The chances of brain tumor is very less.

I know you are doing a lot for her. You should be caring your mother as she raised your siblings and you. She lost her home and away from husband and XXXXXXX you. So time has come for your siblings and you to give her some time and money during your busy routine. Please be lenient and patient. Do not be stern even though she does not listen to you. Emotional support is extremely important for better recovery. If you listen to her small requests she can listen to you and visit doctor. This further helps medication compliance and continued treatment. All these will certainly improve her quality of life which she is currently needs.

I can assist till any extent till you get comfortable with your mother.