Had stroke. Feeling depressed. What is the expected life expectancy?

Jan 2013

My best friend had a stroke 2 years ago. She is now 58. She has limited functions on her right side. She told me she has about 4 years left before she dies. Said she read it on alot of online sites. i think she is depressed and this is all going thru her mind. Is there a average time that is expected or am i right that with good care she could live much longer than 4 more years? Thank you, XXXXXX
Posted Wed, 15 Aug 2012 in Stroke
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 14 minutes later
1) Online site giving death dates are not satisfactory and fake sites. As an educated persons, you and your best friend shouldn't rely on this sites.
2) After any stroke, some sort of weakness may persist and after period of 6 months if some amount of weakness remains then there is least chances of recovery.
3) With feeling of dying within 4 years, your friend may live with feeling of depression. She will always remains occupied with the feeling of all things finished and my lat time has come. She should involve herself in creative works and try to live normal life.
4) Good care and routine check up by your family physician will definitely make her longer life. Stroke and Myocardial infarction both have similar risk factors and by means of medical therapy, meditation and regular exercise she can live longer and better healthy life
5) You should also consult with psychiatrist.
Get well soon.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: Had stroke. Feeling depressed. What is the expected life expectancy? 16 minutes later
Thank you very much. I am going to talk to her husband about this.
I will make sure I check on her, and get her started in some kind of project or hobby.
Well get her husband to work on getting her to her doctor for more help.
You are very kind and I am very relieved to hear that what she read online is not right.
Thankful to you,
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 7 hours later
With wishes of rapid recovery,
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava