Had strep throat infection and gone after taking antibiotics but it still hurts. All test normal. Cause?

I had strep throat infection and after so many antibiotics I think it has gone away because my family doctor can't see anything wrong in my throat or ears. But since I had the strep throat my throat hurts where the XXXXXXX appe is. It doesn't hurt when I eat or drink water I just feel it. My family doctor checked for lumps and there were none. Even at the hospital they checked and I had blood test done and everything clear. Why does it still hurt? Is from the infection I had ?
Should I see a ENT specialist? Is it something I should follow it up with my doctor again?
Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 5 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

It is a good sign that you do not feel any pain when you eat or swallow. This is an indication therefore the throat is not the cause of the pain.

It might be very important to get a more careful assessment, and also taking into consideration neighboring structures in this area, that if inflamed could cause pain. The commonest of these could be the thyroid. Any history of recent changes in abdominal movements, body temperature, mood or heart beat could be indirect indications of thyroid disease. Its good clinically no lymph nodes were detected. XXXXXXX lymph node inflammation, not visible from the outside could be at the origin of these symptoms. A tonsilar stone or cold abscess around this zone must be carefully considered and excluded.

I strongly suggest that an ultrasound of this neck region be done to ascertain the integrity and structure and size of the thyroid and neighboring structures. A control complete blood count could give an idea of any infectious process going on. A reevaluation by an ENT specialist could a very reasonable asset in this reevaluation process.

I strongly suggest you book an appointment with an ENT specialist, and making a few suggestions to him as I mentioned above could help in making an appropriate diagnosis. Feel free contacting me again in case you want clarifications on any particular issues. Thanks and best regards as I wish you the best of health. Kind regards.

Bain LE, MD.