Had stomach pain followed by vomiting and gnawing sensation in upper abdomen under rib cage. Could it be an ulcer?

I had stomach pains 2 weeks ago and within hours vomiting this followed with extreme weakness for 24 hours, thought probably some stomach bug, but neither my husband nor my 8 children got it, since then I have had a terrible gnawing sensation in my upper abdomen under rib cage and have felt generally unwell - last night I got very nauseated, lasted 2-3 hours then started vomiting the last of the vomit was very red - I am almost certain it was blood - could this just be an ulcer. The gnawing sensation is still just as bad today plus a lot of burning sensation and burping. I am 44 yrs of age.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Thank you
Posted Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
It could be a bleed from ulcer

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you.

Gnawing sensation in the upper abdomen could be due to peptic ulcer disease.
One of the complications is blood vomiting.
What you had is probably blood vomiting from peptic ulcer.

An upper GI endoscopy should be done for confirmation. You need to go to ER.

Most often the peptic ulcer is due to H.pylori infection or intake of painkiller medications. So you should be tested for H.pylori infection also.
Try to avoid painkiller medications.

Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini