Had stomach flu. Experiencing dizziness and light head. No sleep. Should I be worried?

I had the stomach flu a few days ago and I am still experiencing dizziness and am very light head. I have been drinking a lot of fluids and probably have never been so hydrated in all my life. I can barely sleep because of this. I may get a stretch of 30 minutes of sleep and then I wake up extremely dizzy. I'm not vomiting anymore but I still do feel some stomach issues, but I am basically eating back to normal. Should I be concerned or will this go away on it's own?
Posted Sat, 24 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The symptoms that you are having are likely to be due to the viral infection. These types of viral syndromes typically last from as little as 3 days up to sometimes 4 to 6 weeks. I would advise that you support your body with good hydration, adequate sleep, a well-balanced diet and a moderate exercise regimen. Exercise is actually good for the immune system which is why I suggest it here. In addition you can supplement your diet with some Vitamin C - 1000 mg daily and consider drinking some immune boost type of tea such as Echinacea which is readily available at most supermarkets.

I expect your symptoms to gradually level off and improve over the next week or two. In the event that this does not occur, I suggest you visit with your primary physician for a complete physical exam and possibly some blood work as well. In the meantime, try not to worry about this and focus on maintaining good health as I have recommended with diet, fluid intake and exercise as well as adequate sleep (7-9 hours per night).

Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.