Had stent put in kidney. Getting kidney and bladder pain. Am I having any infection?

General Surgeon
Question
I had a stent put in my kidney last month and have had variable amounts of pain but recently I have had a more extreme amount of kidney and bladder pain. I had a urine test but dont know how to tell if I have an infection. My RBC
Posted Thu, 14 Mar 2013 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 18 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

It seems that your urine analysis has not appeared in this query so if you could once again provide it, it would be easier to help you.
Every stent in the kidneys is a potential source of infection and should be removed if causes severe, recurring infections. Moreover, in the regular urine analysis there always will be blood cells and leukocytes present as a response for this stent (it irritates urinary tract), so the best way to check if the infection is present is to perform urine culture test with antibiotics sensitivity. Ultrasound should be also done to see if the urine flow is not obstructed.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Had stent put in kidney. Getting kidney and bladder pain. Am I having any infection? 1 hour later
Here are my test results

COMPONENT RBC, URINE HPF
My result 11-25
COMPONENT WBC'S UA/HPF
My result 6-10
COMPONENT BACTERIA, URINE HPF
My result none
COMPONENT SQUAMOUS EPITHELIAL CELLS URINE SED AUTOMATED COUNT QUAL
My result few
COMPONENT MUCOUS, UR SED, UR AUTOMATED COUNT
My result present
COMPONENT UA HGB <1.00 (3+)
COMPONENT PROTIEN UA
20 (trace)
COMPONENT LEUKOCYTE ESTERASE, UA
My result positive

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 44 minutes later
Hello!

Your urine contains red blood cells and white blood cells which can appear due to irritation by the stent. However infection is still possible (the result says that in the given sample, there was not bacterias seen through microscope, but in another sample bacterias can be present). Like I have mentioned before, urine culture test should be performed to rule or confirm the infection.

Hope this will help.
Regards.