Had stent placed after a heart attack. Suffering from Hashimoto's thyroiditis and hallucinations. What could it be?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
I had a heart attack 2 weeks ago and had a stent put in. However now I am having hallucinations are they related. I also suffer from Hashimoto's thyroiditis , hyperparathyroidism and hyperaldestonism , coeliac disease and Ménière's disease
Posted Thu, 28 Nov 2013 in Heart Attack
Answered by Dr. Vandana Khare 1 hour later
Brief Answer: certain medicines used in stenting may cause this Detailed Answer: Hi! Welcome to HCM! Hallucinations have numerous etiologies. hallucinations can be the result of all 3 processes, given the interplay among disturbances of brain anatomy, brain chemistry, prior experiences, and psychodynamic meaning. auditory sense disturbances are more complex than neurosensory tinnitus, that can be part of meniere disease,certain hallucinations have been noted rarely in patients with Hashimoto's thyroiditis too. However since your complain is of recent onset and has started just after stenting so the possibility of a medicinal side effect cannot be ruled out. clopidogrel bisulfate which is used in stenting has hallucinations as reported side effect although rare.It can also be a side effects for antiplatelet therapy. Tell your cardiologist right away if you have any of these side effects. Do not stop taking your medicine unless your doctor tells you to. If you stop taking your medicine without checking with your doctor, it can make your condition worse. You may need to take antiplatelet medicines for the rest of your life, depending on your condition. You will need to have your blood tested regularly . Keep all your appointments with your doctor and the lab, so that your body's response to medicines can be closely monitored. I sincerely hope this will help you! Take care!