Had spinal problem. Started getting twitching sensation in legs. Related?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
last night in bed my leg started jumping and twitching and at 9pm it continued until 6am next morning.

It did stop if however when I stood-up, but started again the moment I laid down.

The jumping coming in regular 10 second intervals. I've tried laying down again today, but the jumping is still in evidence. I am 84 years old and have had spinal problems previously
Posted Sat, 13 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXX and welcome to XXXXXXX

Many healthy people experience thes kind of difficultiesn too and usually it is caused by temporary muscle contracting. If it becomes persistant then first thing to think about is neurologic disorders(nerve compression, methabolic, degenerative,toxic neuropathies,diabetes).
ALso some electrolyte deficiency can cause it as well(calcium, pottasium,magnesium).
You didnt mention what kind of spinal problems did you have. This can definitely cause legs muscle twiching. If nerve is damaged at any level from spine to leg it will cause such symtpoms. It shouldnt worry you but if this is associated with muscle pain, tingling, sensation loss or inability to move it should be checked as soon as possible.
So I suggest to do basic lab tests to check electrolytes nad glucosae. AFter that you can do spine MRI and EMG and diagnosis should be clear.
Hope I ve answered your querry. If you have any question you can ask me.
Wish you good health.