Had spinal fusion surgery for scoliosis. Noticed a dent in right fronto temporal region. Having cold symptoms

Hello. I am a 28 years old male (non smoker, drinker) with no other chronic or family diseases. only a History of a spinal fusion surgery for scoliosis when I was 14. I have notice today a dent the size of my thumb aprox. in my right fronto-temporal region on my skull. I am sure it is rather new as a month ago I shaved my head and would have noticed it for sure. I have been having some common cold symptoms in the past week (runny nose and dry cough).
pressure on the dent does not produce any pain or other symptoms. no headaches or any other neurological symptoms that I have noticed. Should I be concerned about this dent?
Posted Thu, 7 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Gaurav Nigam 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No relation to past surgery.

Detailed Answer:

You found a dent in your skull, that's quite observant I must say. First of all the surgery that you had in the past has no relevance and relation to your findings now, so leave that out.

Secondly, normally in an adult the bones are quite strong and do not bend or change their shapes with pressure etc.

One variant which is possible is that a indentation like that might have been present since earlier and somehow you came to notice now. It does happen this way, a lot of times.

So I think if you are not having any other associated symptom then there's nothing to worry about.
Also I would suggest if this thing is really bothering you, then physical examination is recommended. So you can visit your doctor as well.

Hope this helps. If you have any query let me know.