Had sore throat, strep test negative. Taking Sudafed and Tylenol. Done throat culture. Meaning?

General Surgeon
I've had sore throat for 6days, went to doc on day 3 for strep test, rapid test was neg, throat culture came back, MODERATE GROWTH OF ORAL/RESPIRATORY FLORA, NO BETA HEMOLYTIC STREPTOCOCCI ISOLATED.
Doc said ears are full of fluid and is draining down the back of my throat. I'm taking Sudafed and tylenol.
Is there nothing else I can take that will speed this up? The pain is excruciating when I swallow. I'm 45 yr old female and I don't smoke.
Posted Thu, 17 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Adding a broad spectrum antibiotic is essential.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX ! Good evening. I am Dr Shareef answering your query.

Full of fluid in the ear points to middle ear infection due to the anti inflammatory and a decongestant drug failing which there will be complications like perforation of the ear drum.

Therefore, if I would have been your treating doctor, I would prescribe you with the drugs as mentioned by me now along with regular steam inhalation , and keep you under close observation. If improvement does not occur , and pain in the ear increases with features of inflammation, then I would consider you for a referral to an ENT specialist, who may drain your middle ear under antibiotic cover by a syringe to avoid perforation of the ear drum. Your sore throat will also get relieved by this treatment.

At the same time you should continue with your anti hypertensives, and drugs for your hypothyroid probelm. Also I would suggest you to go for a routine blood sugar test.

I hope this answers your query. However in case of any doubt, further question on the subject is welcome.

Thanks for using health care magic forum for your health query. Good luck.