Had snapping sound in jaw joint radiating to upper and lower jaw. Have folliculitis, uses Bactrim and Doxycycline

I woke from a nap, yawned, and heard a loud snapping sound in the right jaw joint. Have had pain for a week now radiating into the upper and lower jaw. When I feel around with my fingers, the pain seems localized at the joint.
I should also add that I have been suffering from pesistent folliculitis for a year and have been treated with Bactrim (2 months) and Doxycycline 200mg/day for the rest of that time. Currently taking Doxy 100mg/day.
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consult oral surgeon

Detailed Answer:

It sounds like you have significant inflammation of the temporomandibular joint.

I do not believe that this is related to the antibiotics which you have been taking recently.

I think it would be reasonable for you to see an oral surgeon who can perform a focused examination, consultation, and specialized imaging to determine what would be the next appropriate step.

Sometimes medication or maybe steroid injection might be helpful. Usually surgery is not performed for this type of problem although it is a consideration.

Thanks again for sending your question.