Had slip disk problem and recovered. Had recurring pain. Suggest?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I had a slip disk problem 5 years ago and was on bed rest for about 2 months. I have recovered well then but had some recurring pains for 3 occasions when I had to take bed rest again for a couple of days each. I have not had any sever pain for the last 2 years. On doctor's advice, I am keeping away from heavy tasks and outdoor sports. However I wanted to take sports up now and going to the gym. I wanted to assess if this would be good/bad for me?
Posted Sun, 13 Oct 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can try swimming and aerobics.

Detailed Answer:
The most essential and long lasting remedy in case of a slip disc problem is exercises. There are certain back strengthening and neck isometric exercises that you must learn from a physiotherapist and perform them at home or work whenever possible.
I would suggest you to try swimming as this will help most in back conditions.
Avoid weight bearing exercises. Do only mild aerobics which does not put your back to strain. You can discuss about this with your Gym instructor.
Gradually increase the grade of exercises so that it does not affect your present condition.
You can also start with mild jogging and warming up exercises before starting with the sports. Do consult your orthopedician who after a clinical assessment will guide you regarding the degree of stress your back can take.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.