Had sex with sex worker. Having cold, fatigue, swollen lymph nodes and sore throat. Risk of HIV?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hi, I had protected sex with a sex worker 7 days ago (the one and only time). Yesterday i started with cold symptoms, fatigue, swollen lymph nodes, blocked nose and sore throat. While it was protected i was drunk so i didn't wash my hands after removing the condom. I am now concerned my symptoms may be HIV related, ARS. Could this be the case?
Posted Sun, 16 Jun 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 40 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your query.

Many people are confused with ARS(Anti retroviral syndrome) symptoms and I dont like this term. These symptms are nonspecific and are found in every viral infection, allergy, sinusitis, irritation, after exercise, in emootional stress and plenty of other conditions. Also psychosomatic factors have role in all this. Also, ARS is rarely manifested in first 2 weeks after exposure.

Possiblity of transmission by hands is negligible and this hasnt been reported in scientific literature yet. If this was protected sex then the risk is also minor, but considering that you were drunk you cant be 100% sure that condom didnt break or you might have removed this earlier or put it too late.
So I wouldnt be very concerned in your place, but if you have any doubts just do HIV testing after 4-6 weeks depending on test. Also , you can always check was she infected if you can contact her.

WIsh you good health. If you have any questions I ll be glad to help. Regards