Had sex encounter. Did oral sex and masturbation. Did put penis anally after ejaculation. Risks of HIV?

Dermatologist
Question
I had a XXXXXXX sex encounter with a man from a bar, we did mainly oral sex and masturbation, however after he had ejaculated, at least 10 minutes at most 30 minutes later, he put his penis in me anally twice for no more than a minute combined. Is there a high risk of HIV exposure (I do not know his status) or is this relatively low risk?
Posted Sat, 14 Dec 2013 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: Definite risk involved Detailed Answer: Hi , Thanks for writing in. Ive gone through details uploaded by you. There is definitely high risk exposure in the act described. While oral sex is considered low risk exposure ,anal penetrative intercourse is high risk.Even if duration of act is less there is a chance of HIV transfer if the active partner is positive.Masturbation is not risky activity.The risk is described as oral<vaginal <anal sexual intercourse. Hope this answers your query. I will be available for further clarification. Regards DrSudarshan MD HIV and STD specialist.

Follow-up: Had sex encounter. Did oral sex and masturbation. Did put penis anally after ejaculation. Risks of HIV? 4 hours later
Should i go to the ER for a PEP? I understand its high risk activity but whats the likelihood? Ive read that the average risk of HIV transmission during one act of unprotected receptive anal sex is 1.4%. Is it really likely i could have been infected (assuming the man was posiive) from such a brief encounter?

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 12 hours later
Brief Answer: get tested Detailed Answer: Hi again, There is a small but definite risk of HIV in your case.PEP is effective only when started within 72 hours of exposure. The percentage of infection by single anal exposure is rightly stated by you.It is very low.You should test now for HIV by either p24 antigen testing or HIV RNA pcr .It is likely to be negative. You should avoid such exposure in future. The testing can relieve your stress definitely. Hope this helps. Regards.

Follow-up: Had sex encounter. Did oral sex and masturbation. Did put penis anally after ejaculation. Risks of HIV? 18 hours later
Thank you so much for the reply. It was a very dumb lapse in judgment. I went to the ER today, got tested and they gave me the first round of PEP today. Can you give me some background on HIV transmission... Is it easily transferrable, or a difficult disease to contract? In reference HIV and ejaculate, I understand that HIV is present in pre-cum but is it less likely to be spread in pre-cum?

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 7 hours later
Brief Answer: continue PEP Detailed Answer: Hi again, Its good to know that you got tested and started on PEP. HIV is not easily transmissible.Actual fluid exchange needs to take place with mucous membrane contact.Precum ,cum , vaginal fluids are able to transfer HIV effectively while sweat ,saliva , urine,tears cannot transfer HIV. Also the transmission rate is low that is 0.1 to 0.3 per sexual act.HIV virus by nature is very fragile.It cannot survive outside human body for more than few minutes.Genital or mucosal ulcers,STDs, traumatic erosions are more likely to cause HIV transmission.Anal sex cause more trauma than vaginal due small cavity and is likely to transfer HIV infection. Hope this clarifies. Regards DrSudarshan MD