Had sex and became sick with coolness in throat. What could it be?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2012
Dec 2012

Question
Hi, I went to get a physical about six month ago and got sick that evening, ever since then I've had a coolness in my throat and it won't go away. I put off seeing a Doctor thinking it would go away or thinking worse case that it might be cancer. I drink a LOT of diet tea which has aspartame in it. It seems worse in the morning (acid reflux maybe?) Thanks for your help. XXXXX
Posted Sun, 1 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
the cool sensation in the throat could be GERD

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXX

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

Since your symptom is unspecific, it is possible that it might be due to acid reflux or gastroesophageal reflux diseases (GERD) and looking at your description and onset, this supports my suspicion.
I do not think it is cancer (as they will hardly manifest as such and also are rare).
You will need to see a specialist (gastroenterologist) who can do you full evaluation and provide you with appropriate treatment for acid reflux which might made of PPI such as omeprazole or antacids or H2 inhibitors such as cimetidine.

Hope this helps and if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.
Dr. Nsah