Had sex after taking abortion pill. What precaution should I take to avoid pregnancy?

Sep 2012

i hd taken abortion pill on 30th XXXXXXX and the other 4 pills on 1st feb i got my periods on 1st feb itself late night i want to know can i get pregnant this month as we had sex on 9th 16thfeb and what precaution i can take to avoid it kindly help
Posted Tue, 12 Mar 2013 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 17 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, taking 1st February as day 1, your expected date of ovulation was on or around 14th February assuming that you had a normal menstrual history with a 28 days regular cycle.

As you have had sex on 16th February, there is very high chance of being pregnant this month.

Calculate the time passed since you had sex on 16th. If it is more than 72 hours, then you have nothing to do. If it is within 72 hours, then you can take an emergency contraceptive agent containing levonorgestrel 1.5 mg.

Then you should wait for normal period. Your expected date of next period is on or around 28th February. If you miss your period, do a home pregnancy test. If it is positive then you have to take the abortion pill. You can take mifepristone group of drug orally. After 24 to 48 hours, misoprostol group of drugs should be taken intravaginally.

For your information, it is not good for fertility to take abortion pills every month. You should take precautions during sex. Emergency contraceptive agent, oral contraceptive pills and condoms are the method of contraception for you. But condom is the best for you right now.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more query.

Follow-up: Had sex after taking abortion pill. What precaution should I take to avoid pregnancy? 21 hours later
can u prescribe me d medicine that i need to take in case of pregnancy and will it be available at any chemist without dosctors prescription
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 44 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

Look, i cannot give you a prescription in internet.

I have already mentioned the name of the drugs you need. One is mifepristone and another is misoprostol.

You can get the kit in market without a prescription.

But, to be on safe side, consult with a gynecologist. Because in case of any side effects like heavy bleeding, pain, or any other condition, you have to be treated meticulously by manual D&C.

So, consult with a gynecologist first.

Hope you have your answers.