Had sex after a spinal tap. Now have upper back pain. What can be done?

I had a spinal tap a week ago and i had sex on the seventh day after the procedure now I am in alot of pain in my upper back
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations here.

It is very unlikely that the symptoms you are having are related to your spinal tap. Seven days after the procedure you should not have any real residual symptoms.

The remote possibility that your discomfort is related to your spinal tap may be affected by your hydration status. in order to address this I would recommend that you make sure you were drinking at least seven or eight glasses of water per day to maintain good fluid hydration. I would not recommend taking aspirin or any blood thinning medications at this point as this might increase your risk for developing bleeding near where the spinal tap was performed. It is still very unlikely that any bleeding might occur but we want to be as careful as possible.

For your discomfort I would recommend taking some Tylenol. I would observe your symptoms for the next two or three days and I would expect your discomfort to improve within that period of time. If for some reason this does not occur I would recommend that you touch base with your response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert