Had severe hives with itching, swelling in arms, hands, legs and feet. Advice?

I have had very severe hives - lots of itching. Also swelling in the arms, hands, legs and feet for the past 2 weeks. The nausea has subsided and I am eating. I am 72 years old. Many thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 5 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
The symptoms you have are very typical and seen in allergies. Skin rashes, hives, itching, swelling and wheezing are commonly seen as a result of allergy.There is no way to prevent development of allergy.
Since you have a known allergy to aspirin, avoiding it is the best way to prevent an allergic reaction. Most simple rashes improve with gentle skin care and avoiding irritating substances. You can help the improvement by
* Avoid scrubbing your skin.
* Use as little soap as possible. Use gentle cleansers instead.
* Avoid applying cosmetic lotions or ointments directly on the rash.
* Use warm (not hot) water for cleaning. XXXXXXX dry, don't rub.
* Eliminate any newly added cosmetics or lotions.
* Leave the affected area exposed to the air as much as possible.
* Try calamine medicated lotion.
* Hydrocortisone cream (1%) is available without a prescription and may soothe many rashes.
The hives usually take 5-7 days to disappear. You can also take 25mg of benadryl and keep yourself well hydrated.
If the hives become more of purple rather than red then you must consult a dermatologist.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.