Had salmonella and having symptoms of nausea and light headedness. Have abdominal pain. Suggest the treatment?

General Surgeon
I just got an answer to this question by Dr. Sejdini:Hi, I have a 23 year old son who is studying in CA. In July he suffered a severe case of salmonella but since then has symptoms of nausea, light-headedness and very tired. He ended up in the emergency room again 8/31 for these symptoms, but found nothing. He was put on a heart harness for 24 hours and they said that his heart is fine (even though he still complains about heart issues). Ever since he was a child his weight has been very low (6'3", 147lbs!) and always complained about some nausea while eating (he still complains to this day of this). His bowel movements seem normal, except for the fact that they are extremely large in width and length. Could there be something going in his gastrointestinal area? Also, several times in the past, he has woken up with his sheets soaking wet from sweat. He is very athletic. From what little information that I gather on the internet, he never complains about abdominal pain or bloating and rarely has diarrhea. He says he's tired of feeling these symptoms. Could you help a desperate mother in New Hampshire :-(. Thank you so much for your help in this mystery. I would like a second opinion, if I may. Thank you
Posted Wed, 13 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hyperthyroidism to be ruled out

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day

Presence of night sweat, vague heart symptoms as complained by your son and vague Gastro-enteritis intestinal symptoms I would like to consider the possibility of Hyperthyroidism as the cause and rule it out by T3,T4 and TSH assay.
From the description there does not seem to be any organic lesion in the Gastrointestinal tract. Generalized symptoms like tiredness are quite common following recovery from severe infection.
I would request you to get the above test done if not yet done.
I do understand your difficulty and concern being a mother. Do not worry will take care of things.

I hope it helped
Dr Deepak
Follow-up: Had salmonella and having symptoms of nausea and light headedness. Have abdominal pain. Suggest the treatment? 6 hours later
Dear Dr. Deepak:
Thank you so much for your professional and kind words for me and my son, I truly appreciate them. I will get that blood work done.
Namaste to you, your family, friends and staff
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thank you very much, wishing your family and you a very healthy life.
Take Care