Ask a Dentist   »  

Had root canal. Having pain and small blister on the roof of the mouth. What to to?

Good morning.
Two weeks ago,I had a root anal,post and crown.
Felt problems.
Coming home Saturday,an immediate pain came from the upper,front gum line and roof of my mouth.
Went to dentist yesterday and Xrays showed no problem with tooth or gums.
The night before,I accidentally applied extremely TOO hot washcloth and now I have a dime sized blister on the roof of my mouth and on the gum line.
Bubbles on the roof of my mouth are new to me!

Dentist mentioned POSSIBLE sinus problem.
My sinuses have never been so much of a problem that I had to go to the doctor for treatment.
Posted Mon, 17 Jun 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 2 hours later

Thanks for writing.

I have gone through your case details. It seems application of hot wash cloth is responsible for development of blisters.

Roof of mouth and gum lines are mucosa and they are quite sensitive. Area of oral cavity is limited and heat directly damages tissue .

Other possibility is of herpetic infections, but they are quite painful,and blisters rupture and ulcers are formed.You need to consult a doctor if your blisters are painful .

Do not try to rupture blister.Start applying antibiotic cream over it.Do not eat hot,spicy foods and avoid hot drinks also.You can eat ice creams which gives soothing effect .

I hope this will solve your problem.In case of any concerns I will be happy to help you.Take care.
Follow-up: Had root canal. Having pain and small blister on the roof of the mouth. What to to? 1 hour later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX
I live in a small town and it is difficult at best to even get an appointment.
I am scheduled at 1 PM today.
He is a general doctor so perhaps he does have the answer and/or treatment or can point me towards a specialist.
I hope it is from the heat.
It is the unknown that is bothering me.
And of course the PAIN.
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 15 hours later

There are many blistering diseases of oral cavity. But many of those serious conditions develop gradually and tend to be progressive. A few condition cause severe pain, foul smell and sores in mouth.
Your description sounds more likely to be due to the heat.

You can try antibiotic cream like fucidic acid over affected area until you plan the visit to your doctor..

I hope this can solve your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Follow-up: Had root canal. Having pain and small blister on the roof of the mouth. What to to? 5 hours later
It was two abscesses.
That is why I had put the hot pads on the roof of my mouth in the first place.
I got into a doctor as soon as we chatted here and he immediately noticed a pus head at the roof of my mouth towards the teeth.
There was no way I could have looked in there. And I tried before I saw him.
Anyway...your response was good based on the information I gave you.
Perhaps I was HOPING it was just from heat from me.
Most PAINFUL procedure ever for him to XXXXXXX those two!
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 19 minutes later

thanks for follow up.

It is good finally you have met with correct diagnosis and treatment.

Dental abscesses needs to be drained immediately and you have approached at right time to the doctor.

In future if you need any help ,you can contact me.Take care.