Had psychotic break. EEG was abnormal but no seizure activity. No sleep. Taking Resperidol, Topamax and Seroquel. Cure?

Nov 2013

My mother had a psychotic breack 75 year old female auditory hallucinations three months ago. Ther was no evidence of stroke or mass that will cause these problems. negative cat scan, negative mri , eeg was abnormal but no seizure activity. They started her on Resperidol then added Topamax. The voices went away but difficulty sleeping so they added Seroquel. She appeared to be too lethargic so they taperd and eventually discontinued topamax but her level of anxiety increased and she has a hard time sleeping now. My question is can resperidol increase her anxiety and she one time has recieved klonopin two years ago for a stressful event in her life only for a month and that worked better. I realize it is addicting but what would be the best alternative. I also like to add she was very dehydrated the day she had her mental break no abnormal glucose levels with extreme thirst. They statted her on xanax and it doesnt work too good for her after three hours she is anxious Thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 19 Jul 2013 in Schizophrenia
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

Resperidol (risperidone) is unlikely to increase her anxiety, rather, anxiety seems to be part of her illness, so, is her sleep problem.

I agree with you that we should use klonopin (clonazepam) in her case, as this would reduce anxiety as well as provide good sleep. The risk of addiction if used for a few weeks is less, and also less at her age. The benefits of using clonazepam outweighs any risk with it, so, I would recommend it for her.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist