Had protected vaginal sex. Tip of the condom touched penis. Risk of HIV?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
I had protected vaginal sex using a condom. After we were done, I kept the condom on for about 20 minutes before I took it off. When I took it off, the outside of the condom touched the tip of my penis, maybe even the opening of my penis, not sure. Could I have caught a potential STD given that the bacteria from an STD could have been on the condom or did all potential STD bacteria die since it was outside of the body? Please advise and thanks in advance for your input!!!
Posted Wed, 14 Aug 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 29 minutes later
Hello
Consistent and correct condom use can diminish to a great extent the use of transmission of STDs.
However, it does not completely eliminate it.
Condoms provide a greater degree of protection against STDs transmitted by genital secretions, but are less effective in preventing the STDs that are transmitted by contact of exposed mucosal area in the genital region.
Hence, your risk of acquiring an STD is low, but not zero.
The best way is to test yourself and your partner for STDs, before embarking on a longterm sexual relationship.
If the status of your partner is unknown, it is better to test yourself after 6 weeks, to be sure that you are completely alright.
Please go through the following link - it will give you a better scientific idea on the efficacy of condoms in preventing STDs.

WWW.WWWW.WW
Please feel free to discuss further for any clarifications.

Follow-up: Had protected vaginal sex. Tip of the condom touched penis. Risk of HIV? 21 hours later
I read that Mycoplasma Genitalium, Gonorrhea, and Chlamydia bacteria die within a few seconds to a few minutes outside of the body and that the only bacteria that lives longer is Trichomoniasis. If this is true, is it safe to say that of the four diseases noted above, that the only disease that I could have remotely contracted is trich? Also, would you say that having potentially contracted any of the other diseases, Mycoplasma Genitalium, Gonorrhea, or Chlamydia, would be extremely low, at best, or even better, not possible, given the sitation I described? Moreover, what is the possibility that I contracted trich...would you say the risk is high, medium, low, extremely low, or highly remote given the sexual situation that I described above? Lastly, I did take a urine test for gonorrhea and chlamydia 2 weeks after the incident, the lab is creating a culture, and am waiting for the results. Would this test be accurate after 2 weeks?

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 5 minutes later
Hi
To answer you point by point -
1. The highest possibility is of contracting Trichomoniasis, due to its resilience.
2. The possibility is extremely low, due to the safe nature of the sex practised, not impossible, for obvious reasons, as a condom is not a 100 % barrier.
3. The risk of contracting Trichomoniasis is extremely low, again as the condom was very correctly used.
4. The test would not be totally accurate, as any testing for STD is recommended after 6 weeks, giving any potential organisms full scope to manifest. In your case, having gone for the test at 2 weeks, it is advisable to repeat after 6 weeks.