Had protected sex followed by bump on penis and burning. STD was negative. Still have burning with low libido

Dermatologist
Question
Seven years ago I had sex with a lady I met and we had a one night stand, I wore a condom. 3 weeks later I got 3 flesh colored bumps on my penis head and extreme burning/pain. The bumps went away the burning pain subsided to about a level 3 from a level 10. I was tested multiple times over the years for herpes, and all other STI's. All test are negative. I was told it was probably just a fungal infection.

7 years later, I still have the burning sensation at a level 3 about, low libido and sex drive, low testosterone levels and doctors telling me I have no diseases. It is always hot and uncomfortable feeling in my crotch area and sometimes I even feel the "burn" in my inner thighs. 7 years - it has killed my dream of marrying and having kids. I am very sad. I am now 41. Please help if you can. What could it be?
Posted Thu, 4 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 1 hour later

Thanks for writing here.

Burning sensation over penis is quite uncomfortable and sometimes interfere with sexual activity. I can understand your concern regarding this disease.

Sexually transmitted diseases are one of the commonest cause of burning sensation. But your negative tests over the period of time excludes infections.

Since you are having low libido and low testosterone levels your burning seems to be due to prostatis. Prostate is an important gland in males which produce testosterone and maintain sexual drive. You might consider visiting an urologist and may be go for ultrasound to rule out prostate involvement. Prostatis can be treated by antibiotics and surgery if required.

Other cause includes inflammation of bladder / urethera; but they produce lower abdominal pain rather than loss of libido.

Chances of burning are more if you are uncircumsized since it may lead to recurrent infection producing burning.

I hope this will solve your query. In case you have concerns, I will be happy to help you.

Follow-up: Had protected sex followed by bump on penis and burning. STD was negative. Still have burning with low libido 19 hours later
I have seen 2 urologists and had a ultrasound. Prostate I was told is healthy. I could go again. How is prostatis conclusively diagnosed?

Review of symptoms lasting 7 years:

1) irritated penis head
2) low libido and testosterone
3) heat in groin area
4) sometimes irritation around inner thigh

Thank you very much for your help doctor.

Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 3 hours later

Thanks for follow up.

Prostatis can be easily diagnosed by ultrasound and since your ultrasound is normal then no need to visit urologist again.

Burning sensation is sometimes associated with neurological cause such as lumbosacral deformities and it will be better to rule out this cause. A simple x XXXXXXX and M.R.I.scan will help in ruling out this cause.

For relief you can consider starting with amytriptyline tablets. It has good role in decreasing burning sensation. It can be started at a dose of 10 mg and gradually increased to 25 mg. You can also take tablets containing vitamin b6 and vitamin b12.You can discuss this with your doctor and take tablets accordingly. It will be also helpful if you consult a neurologist.

I hope this can solve your problem. If you still have any queries feel free to ask. Take care.