Ask a Urologist   »  

Had protected sex, burning sensation on penis, anxiety-driven. Taken Zithromax. Could it just be irritation?

Question
Had protected sex with condom and brief oral a day later I felt this tingle/burning sensation on tip of penis. It's not constant and seems to go away after I pee then come back when I focus on it. I feel like it's anxiety driven. It makes me feel like I have to pee just a little. Took zithromax already 1g. No change after a week. It was sex after breakup with my ex and I fear it's something . It's totally relegated to penis opening with no discharge or other symptoms. Could it just be irritation. Never used condoms with ex for 3 yrs and she was my only partner. Could this be anxiety driven I just want it to go away it's constantly in my mind
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 7 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.
I can understand the stress and anxiety on such issues
The chances of a sexually transmitted infection seems to be low as there is no painful discharge.your symptoms of going to pee again and again with slight irritation at the tip of penis seems to be due to heightened anxiety however if any other symptoms appear, such as a definitely abnormal discharge of mucus or pus from the penis, even if the pain resolves; or if current symptoms persist for more than 10 days,you must get yourself examined by a doctor.
  But be aware that resolution of symptoms doesn't guarantee an infection is not persisting.
Wait for few days more and take plenty of water in the mean time.
I hope to have answered your query however you can revert to me for any other query.
Thanks and best of luck.