Had protected sex and noticed blood in condom. HIV test negative. Should I go for the test again?

Jun 2015

Dear Doctor,

My question is i had a sex with some girl on dated 13th April 2013. I don't know her HIV status. Having sex with her using a condom but after sex i found blood on my condom. I ask her she said that during sex she got the period. I also ask her about HIV status she didn't properly answer. After 22 days i.e 3rd May 2013 i did test ELISA 3rd generation test it get HIV negative. Then after also i Did same test 45 days i.e 27th May 2013 this test also came HIV negative (Non Reactive). Should i go for another test can you please suggest. I also give sample for PCR Test but result are not came yet. I am in stress can you please help me.
Posted Mon, 17 Jun 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 5 hours later

I have already discussed in our previous conversation regarding the causes and investigations for detecting HIV in an individual.

I will try to elaborate them further for better understanding.

1. ELISA test, whether it is first generation or third generation, act on the same principles.
The immune system of the body takes upto 3-6 months (known as Window Period) for producing antibodies against HIV.
ELISA detects the presence of antibody in the blood of an individual, the tests usually show a negative result if tested in this Window Period.
So, there is no need to go for one more ELISA test now.

2. The best methods for detecting HIV during Window Period are p24 assay & PCR for HIV.
If these tests are negative, you can be 100% sure that you do not have HIV.
And as you have already given sample for PCR test, please wait for the results.

3. If you wish to go for further investigations, you can get a p24 assay done.
It can also detect the presence of HIV virus within this Window Period.

Please do not stress yourself by assuming things without getting the investigation reports.
Taking such stress will weaken you both physically as well as mentally.
And this is not advisable.

Wishing you a Good Health.
Please let me know if I can clarify further.