Had protected sex. Liked the tip of the penis. Risk of HIV?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Question
I'm an actively bi male, I had protected sex with a guy whom I believe has HIV, but I am not 100% sure on it. I performed oral on him, but wiped the tip of his penis before sucking it to make sure I wiped away any pre-cum that might be there. I bottomed for him, with a condom, there was a bit a rectal bleeding afterwards which concerned me, but the condom did not break, so I don't think that there's any risk there, but would still want a professional opinion on that. He was a bit rough, I don't know if that can cause tiny unnoticeable tears?

Finally, the guy came on my chest (not in my ass), but when he came, it sprayed and some got close to my face so I closed my eyes, after closing my eyes, I felt a bit of it land on my eyelid, and eyelash. I don't think it actually got in my eye as it didn't burn, like I hear it's supposed to. I kept my eye closed as he wiped it away with a tissue. Afterwards, I rinsed my eye with water just to be sure.

I'm concerned as I don't know if there is a significant risk of being infected from any of the above actions. Should I be worried and go get a PEP treatment, or is the risk so small it's negligible? I take my sexual health very seriously but I'm too afraid to get tested after this as I'm afraid of a positive diagnosis.
Posted Tue, 11 Jun 2013 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Binod Kumar Pati 1 hour later
Hi

Read through your query, understood your main concern.
First of all try to know the HIV status of the person, if positive, whether he is receiving anti retroviral therapy (ART for HIV) or not. If he is on treatment, he may have an undetectable viral load.Or else you can convince him to get tested. It may be difficult but it is worth to put off all the worry.
If there is no blood transfer or body fluid transfer during oral sex, there is a very negligible chance of transmission.
The way anal act was performed, it is highly unlikely that transmission would have occurred.
Skin exposure on chest wall has no risk of transmission, if the skin is intact.
Coming to eye exposure - I am unaware that such transmission has ever actually been reported; But since the eye is lined by a mucous membrane, exposure has a negligible risk. The risk further decreases as the lysozyme present in tear can destroy the virus. Also the very short period of exposure, if at all any, in your case decreases the risk much more.
How ever, if you are more concerned, subject yourself to your STD specialist and get investigated.
I hope this information helps. If you would like some more information, I will be happy to provide.
Don't worry.
All the best.

Follow-up: Had protected sex. Liked the tip of the penis. Risk of HIV? 2 hours later
Hi and thank you for your prompt reply,

I briefly mentioned sexual health and safety with the guy, and just really gave me dodgy/indirect and insincere answers, which made me a bit skeptical, and he works in XXXXXXX porn which would make him a higher risk person.

Let's say worst case scenario, he was hiv positive and not seeking treatment. I understand that my risk of infection would be higher than before, but would my risk still be negligible? Thank you for your help!

I am glad that you returned with more information.

I have answered your query, keeping in mind that the person is seropositive for HIV and not taking ART (Anti retroviral treatment).
What I interpret from your 1st question is that there is hardly any risk due to the anal act and chest wall exposure.

There are instances of HIV transmission after unprotected oral sex, hence assumption that oral sex is completely safe is not warranted.

Regarding eye exposure, this situation happens to many other persons also. But there is hardly any documented cases of transmission. Risk of transmission through this route is negligible.

Still I will advise you to go to a counselling and testing centre.

I hope all your queries are cleared. I ll be happy to answer, if you need any more.

All the best.