Had protected sex. Did 2 4th gen eclia test both negative. Kissing on lip is dangerous? Should I go for another test?

Question
Dear doctor, I asked the below question to another doctor and I need your expertise as well. I had protected sex with 2 ladies six months back. I used condom correct and consistent only possibility some vaginal secretion may touched the base of my penis . After 6months I did 2 4th gen eclia test both negative with values 0.312 and 0.344 . Prior to this test around 4 weeks back I kissed a lady on the lips but no tounging in a massage centre. So my last eclia test is 4 weeks after the last incident but 6 months after earlier mentioned contacts . Do you think I need any further tests . Is there any risk with lip kissing gently.i never had any fever or any other issues in the past six month except a normal throat congestion and cold
Posted Fri, 21 Jun 2013 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 4 hours later
Hi XXXXXX,

At the outset you have a high risk behaviour towards STD's (sex transmitted diseases) and HIV infections. so I would suggest you to modify it for your health and to be risk free.

Given the ELISA test is negative now you do not need any more tests provided you do not indulge in such risk activities, else you require tests regularly.

With the incidents above you do not require further tests. The risk of acquiring HIV infection is very small if you use condoms. The risk is also less if vaginal secretion touch the base of penis. The throat congestion and cold are frequently observed amongst other infections as well. Lip kissing does not transfer sizable HIV infection as per the studies.

Please realize that every time you may not be lucky. Hence the only way that you can keep up health is refraining from promiscuity.

Follow-up: Had protected sex. Did 2 4th gen eclia test both negative. Kissing on lip is dangerous? Should I go for another test? 21 minutes later
Thank you doctor. I won't a engage in any more such activities . Sir i did a 3rd eclia test today and reading is 0.255 non reactive. Am not doing any further test. I would like to know if eclia 4th gen test I did is as accurate as elisa and conclusive. Thank you for your detailed information. I won't worry any more. The only confirmation I need is the accuracy or reliability of 4th gen eclia tests.

Thank you sir

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 5 hours later
The ELISA you got was reliable and you can go ahead with your life without any more testing. The anxiety about transmission of virus makes you test more than required than you actually require it.

Take care and do good.

Follow-up: Had protected sex. Did 2 4th gen eclia test both negative. Kissing on lip is dangerous? Should I go for another test? 13 hours later
Dear Sir, one last question. As I mentioned I did eclia 4th gen test. Is it elisa itself or is it as accurate as elisa

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 35 hours later
You are talking about 4th Gen EIA which is different from ELISA traditional test. The Fourth-generation EIA tests, which detect p24 antigen and HIV antibodies, can be done by 16 day post exposure. It is equally good and the technologist shortened the window periods.

All the best.