Had protected intercourse. Feeling pain in neck, throat and head. Seat during night. Having white dots inside lips. Worried?

HIV AIDS Specialist
Hi, I am sure you get an over worried individual who believes they may have come into contact with the HIV virus well I am one of them. About 10 days ago I came into contact with a woman who I wore no protection with. During intercourse she had mentioned how promiscuous she's been in her life. At that point I began getting very nervous. Within 1 week I felt aches in my neck which continues but has subsided somewhat. I have a nasal drip toward the back of my throat a little neck and lower head pain and slept a little longer than usual during the day on the 8th day and 9th day post possible exposure. I sweat at night, but Ido that quite a bit it is still a little scary. I also have these little white dots on the inside of my lip towards the corner perhaps granules. I have had no fever no rash but I am itching a little bit could be dew to getting my back shaved and some stomach pain and diarrhea, oh and some chest pain and coughing with some phlegm. I am thinking of getting a PCR test please help me thank you
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 3 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

All your symptoms are not specific to HIV and anybody can get a nasal drip or a sore throat, especially following a close intimacy with an individual.

Moreover earliest manifestations of HIV, as an acute infection or primary infection, can occur only after 3-4 weeks of the risky exposure. So your symptoms present on 7-9 days are unlikely to be due to HIV.

Many people remain HIV free in spite of their regular sex contact with their spouse for years together (30-40%) and are called as Sero-discordant couple.

So it is not mandatory that your above mentioned sexual encounter might be an infectious one. So you need not worry about your symptoms.

But it is better always to get our doubts cleared about HIV by doing test, as you mentioned preferably with DNA PCR test as it clears your doubt earlier than the ELISA test.
Wish you the best.
Dr S.Murugan