Had prostate cancer. PSA score rising while on hormone injection. What is the life expectancy?

What does several scattered hepatic metastasis measured under 2 cm. ill defined mass in the pancreatic head measures 4.2 x 3.2cm and is consistent with primary pancreatic carcinoma. There is significant associated dilation of the pancreatic duct. Several ill defined hepatic metastases. Multiple nodules identified in both lungs as well is multiple pleural nodules. Atleast 4 sub centimeter parenchyma nodules in left lung, 8 in right lung. Cardiomegalt calcification in the coronary arteries, mass in the pancreas and hypo dense lesions in the liver... Is my grand father dying? What does all this mean? He had prostate cancer. Now his PSA score is rising while on hormone injections. Please be straight, no need to sugar coat :) thanks
Posted Thu, 2 Aug 2012 in Lung Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 54 minutes later

I am sorry to hear about your grandfather. It appears that he had prostate cancer (probably metastatic) which is now not controlled by hormone therapy. The multiple liver metastases and lung nodules may be due to metastatic prostate cancer but is a bit rare. Prostate cancer mainly involves the bones.

In addition he has a mass in pancreatic head which looks like a pancreatic cancer. I feel that it is a second cancer (apart from prostate) which has spread to the liver and lungs.

Though we can try second line treatment for prostate cancer, his life is under threat from the pancreatic cancer for which we cannot offer anything much. We can provide only supportive care like management of pain, etc. I am afraid that his life span is expected to be very short (3-6 months) considering the extent of disease and age.

I will be available for further follow-up queries, if any.
Follow-up: Had prostate cancer. PSA score rising while on hormone injection. What is the life expectancy? 9 hours later
Ok. He is not in any pain but appears to be jaundice. Is this normal? Can you briefly explain what changes I will see as his body begins to break down? --I don't like surprises, being informed is my weapon against fear and depression--thanks so much for your time.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 2 hours later
Jaundice is due to the pancreatic mass which is blocking the normal flow of bile, definitely this is not normal. If his condition permits, stenting of the bile duct (by endoscopic procedure) may be attempted, but I would not prefer that at his age.

Further problems may be weakness, low appetite, weight loss, pain, vomiting, bleeding in vomitus or stools, etc.

Please let me know I can be of any further help.