Had post partum hypertension. Now obsessed with monitoring my blood pressure regularly. Any ideas?

My blood pressure runs good all day until about 4-8 pm when I start getting anxious about whether it is ok or not. I had post partum hypertension and now I'm obsessed with monitoring my blood pressure at home. I have recently been taken off of my bp meds and told to just watch it. In the evenings when I become more anxious about it sometimes it will reach the 150's and low 100's. Is this ok? As soon as it's bedtime it goes back down.
Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

I would recommend that you only check your blood pressure once or twice per day. There is really no reason for you to check the blood pressure any more frequently than that. I would suggest that you check the blood pressure once in the morning and once again in the evening. I would also suggest that you write the numbers down so that you can keep track of your results.

I completely understand your concern regarding anxiety and anxiety can significantly elevated blood pressure. Again if most of the time your blood pressure runs in a normal range I would not be concerned.

Again I would share the results that you obtain at home with your doctor and have your doctor review all of your results over a period of time between your appointments. If the results are mostly within the normal range there is no indication for any medication. Otherwise focus on a good healthy lifestyle including exercise and a healthy diet on a daily basis.

Thank you again for sending your query.

Dr Galamaga