Had plates in arm. Area below elbow has swollen and suffers pain. Suggest?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi. My husband had 2 plates in his right arm just over 10 years ago. Over the last 7 days an area below the elbow has swollen slightly and he suffers a severe pain if that area of the arm is touched. What might this be due to?

Posted Mon, 19 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

It might be due to loosening of plates and erosion of bone or due to infection in the area.

I suggest you to go for an xray to see the present status of bone and implant.
Consult you orthopaedician for thorough evaluation and appropriate treatment.

Meanwhile give rest to your arm and elbow, take anti-inflammatory drug like motrin to reduce pain and inflammation. Avoid lifting and rest well.

Hope this helps you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Dr Saurabh Gupta.