Had peripheral neuropathy in feet. Cyst in lower back and severe osteoporosis in lower spine. Suggest the treatment?

Spine Surgeon
I have peripheal neuropathy in my feet; mainly my heels and have had for several years. Heat makes it worse. I am not diabetic. I now have some sort of cyst in my lower back on each side that you can not visibly see but can feel. I have had one for years but now there are two on one side. They are uncomfortable and now seem to be causing pain when I stand up or just in general when I move or lay on my back. The neuropathy has been described as idiopathic. I have had nerve conduction studies done several years ago and they didn't detect anything unusual.
I take pain medicine several times a day. i do not have MS; just had a Brain mri. I am now wondering if there is a possiblilty this is a compression neuropathy from some sort of lipoma or benign cyst or tumor that is slow growing but finally got big enough to compress the nerves. May not be related but I just had a bone scan and they said I have severe osteoporis in my lower spine and have to begin daily injections.
I am wondering if maybe it is a spinal problem that caused this. The pain is nowhere else but in my feet and is mainly a burning sensation and tingly much of the time. Putting cold on them helps a lot.
I am considering going to a neuropathy center but I don't know where to go. I could also go to Mayo or somewhere like that. I have five children and have had to modify my life considerably because of this. I would love to hear from a neurologist or neurosurgeon versed in this.
Posted Thu, 24 Oct 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Spinal pathology can cause such issues

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the detailed information. Compressive pathology in spine can cause problems in the leg as described by you. Its reasonable to consider doing MRI spine to rule out the problem before naming it idiopathic neuropathy. have you checked the Vit B12 level? Any medicine helped till now? such as pregabalin or amitryptilin? any trouble with bowel bladder habits? Get a thorough exam from the spine specialist and neurologist to rule out all possible reasons. Thanks.