Had partial thyroidectomy. Experiencing joint pain, weight gain and allergy symptoms. Am I at risk?

Question
i had a partial thyroidectomy, about 4 years ago due to nodules, No medication and no follow-ups. This past year have been experiencing joint pain, plantar fasciitis, weight gain, extreme fatigue, worsening allergy symptoms, depression, dry itchy peeling skin, itchy rashes too on my shins. I am 51 yo female. i am a fitness instructor and experienced an episode where my muscles cramped up terribly at the end of one of my classes and the worst shortness of breath I have ever had, it lasted a few minutes. I realize this may be hypothyroidism and know I should see my specialist.Am i at high risk?
Posted Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 40 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX,
Thanks for writing in. The symptoms you have noted could be related to hypothyroidism but they are not specific to it. Partial thyroidectomy increases the risk of developing hypothyroidism so first thing to do in your case is to check thyroid function tests. If the results suggest hypothyroidism then to take treatment &see if the symptoms resolve within 2-3 months. If they dont additional evaluation for other causes needs to be done. If thyroid function is normal then better to see a dermatologist &dermatologist. It would also be worthwhile taking calcium, vitamin D & multivitamin supplements till that time.
Hope this helps.
Shivaprasad