Had partial tear in knee and had swelling. How to reduce swelling?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
What is the best thing to do and/or take to reduce swelling in my knee. I suffered partial tears of my ACL/MCL in my right knee 3 weeks ago, still having some swelling above the kneecap.
Posted Tue, 22 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow the measures given below.

Detailed Answer:
A mild to moderate knee ligament injury may heal on its own given time. The swelling above the knee cap is a normal finding during this time. To speed the healing and decrease the swelling, you can:

*Rest the knee. Avoid putting excess weight on your knee. You may need to use crutches for a time.

*Do hot fomentation of your knee to reduce pain and swelling. Do it for 20-30 minutes every 3-4 hours for 2-3 days, or until the pain and swelling is gone.

*Compress your knee. Use an elastic bandage, straps, or sleeves on your knee to control swelling.

*Elevate your knee on a pillow when you're sitting or lying down.

*Wear a knee brace to stabilize the knee and protect it from further injury.

*Take anti-inflammatory painkillers. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), like Motrin to reduce pain and swelling.

*Practice stretching and strengthening exercises if your doctor recommends them.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.