Had orthognathic surgery for mandibular prognathism. Got infection after surgery. Suggest

General Surgeon
Question
hello doctor,
i had my orthognathic surgery for mandibular prognathism done 5months back.Right after 1 month of surgery i got infection.My surgeon put me on antibiotics for 3 months then he has removed the plates from left side but still i m having discharge,no pain,no swelling or other discomfort is associated but discharge is still present.He says maintain oral hygiene it would be healed itself i am not having any antibiotics now is it ok?I am very much worried about it please help.THANK YOU
Posted Sat, 8 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 10 hours later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Such severe infections especially when bones are affected need long time to get healed. Lack of pain, swelling seems to be a good sign.

Antibiotics are usually not necessary if there is only small discharge.

Here is what you should do:
- If the discharge is gradually decreasing, please be patient and follow your doctor advice
- If the discharge is not getting better, MRI of this area should be considered
- If there were no bacteriologic tests of the discharge, it should be done as well to establish what the best antibiotic is

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Had orthognathic surgery for mandibular prognathism. Got infection after surgery. Suggest 21 hours later
hello doctor,
Thanks for reply.Actually antibiotic sensitivity test was done long before after 2months of my surgery according to which i am susceptible to ciplox and i had those medicine for long.Do i need to test it again?as you said if discharge is decreasing, as far as i think its neither decreasing nor increasing its constant after plates removal.....when ever i wake up in the morning its there but rest of the day only a two or three drops sometimes.thank you

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
Hello!

After such long period of antibiotic treatment, the bacterial flora has changed for sure. This could cause bacteria resistance to some antibiotics. That is why I suggest you to do this test again. Especially that the discharge is constant and you are not improving in this matter.
It’s not getting worse either (that is good news), so most likely it will get healed by its own. However, the time of such healing might be long (even few months) so proper antibiotic might accelerate this process.

Hope this will help.
Regards.

Follow-up: Had orthognathic surgery for mandibular prognathism. Got infection after surgery. Suggest 11 hours later
hello doctor,
Thanks a lot for your help.I do really feel very relaxed after hearing it n i'll be done with culture test again soon thanks a lot........

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 52 minutes later
Hello!

You are welcome. Hope you will be fine soon.

Regards.