Had oral sex with sex worker covering penis with towel. HIV test showed non reactive on Elisa test. Suggest

Question
Hi sir
This is XXXXXXX from Bangalore I had oral sex with sex worker with covering of my pennies with small (hand towel) after 30 days, I had HIV test it shows non reactive on Elisa test ,please suggest whether this test is ok or I need to take any other test like RNA test to conform it please suggest
Regards XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 19 Jun 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 41 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome to Healthcare magic.
You have got exposed to saliva through the hand towel. The saliva is not known to transmit HIV but if the lady had other sexually transmitted infections there is a real risk and you can contract the infections mentioned next.
Other infections can also spread in your case like Hepatitis-B/C, gonorrhea, syphilis, herpes, HPV etc.
One month time falls within the window period for the detection of the HIV and may be falsely negative. Check an ELISA after 10weeks time to exposure. RNA detection test can be done but is very costly test but it is more accurate and reliable test.
I hope that answers your query.

Follow-up: Had oral sex with sex worker covering penis with towel. HIV test showed non reactive on Elisa test. Suggest 6 minutes later
Dear sir

Thanks sir

Can i do RNA TEST now and i can able to find any HIV issues please update me sir.

XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 24 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
welcome back.
I can understand your anxiety, you can get the RNA PCR test done for HIV.
It can detect your status reliably and you can be sure of the things.
You should not be so casual about the things- you could have avoided the exposure, if it was planned then you should have used a good barrier method I mean a premium quality condom should have been used.
i hope you will be careful in future.

Follow-up: Had oral sex with sex worker covering penis with towel. HIV test showed non reactive on Elisa test. Suggest 27 minutes later
Dear sir ,

I had oral sex with sex worker on 23.04.2013 and as per our earlier discussion, today I am planning to go for RNA PCR Test please suggest me if am going for RNA PCR test and I can consider this the test result in future, there will not any problem( if Test result is -ve) if I didn’t had any un product sex with any one in future. please update me sir
XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 9 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX
Welcome back.
You can get the RNA-PCR for HIV now and a negative test will prove it that you are not having HIV from upto now exposures.
But you must know that HIV is not only one disease of that calibre.
Hepatitis B is more aggressive then HIV, Hep.C is also a slow cousin, all can spread by sexual and saliva exposure.
So also get tested for them as well. It is right time to get the serology for them also.
I hope that answers your query.