Had oral sex. Is there any chance of HIV transmission to my body if there is virus in blood?

Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 2 hours later

Oral sex can transmit virus from her. Whenever there is fluid exchange, like vaginal, anal or oral sex, there is risk.

By just touching a infected person, transmission does not occur. Only blood transfusions from infected person, intercourse as above, transmit.

The virus will be present in the body in infected people and blood, most fluids contain virus.

Dr GS, urologist.
Follow-up: Had oral sex. Is there any chance of HIV transmission to my body if there is virus in blood? 17 hours later
What is fluid exchange ? The lady has sucked my penis five to six time but I have not discharged sperm inside her mouth,I have discharged out side her mouth.In this case,is there any chance of HIV transmission ? If yes,what should I do ?
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 5 hours later
Hi and thanks again,

You might not have ejaculated, but her saliva might have contained virus if she was an already infected person.

One option is to check her HIV status (if she is willing) by doing an ELISA for HIV. This is available in most labs in most cities. If she turns out positive, you need to consider yourself infected and take treatment for HIV, which is called POST EXPOSURE PROPHYLAXIS. Please consult your doctor for the same.

If she is negative, still she may be in what is called the window period (the period during which tests do not show as positive) and you need to check ELISA after one month.

If she is not willing for the tests, you need to consider safety and hence take treatment as I described in positive situation.

If she was one who has had multiple partners you are at high risk and hence safety is recommended.

Hope this information helps. Let me know if you have any further query.

Follow-up: Had oral sex. Is there any chance of HIV transmission to my body if there is virus in blood? 19 hours later
What is Post Exposure Prophysaxis treatment ? Can this treatment cures HIV positive people ? Can a HIV affected person lead a normal life after treatment ? How many other treatments are available for HIV in India ? What is aids ? Is there any treatment for Aids ? What is window period ,this is 30 days or 90 days ?
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 7 hours later

Post exposure prophylaxis is getting treated for the disease in an assumption that you have got infected, because you had contact with a HIV positive person.

Yes there are newer therapies which give promising results after complete treatment. It comes with counseling as well. So even the government has taken big time initiatives to educate a person who is high risk or considers himself to have infected with virus.

AIDS, is a syndrome which is in the later stages of HIV infection is due to immunodeficiency caused by the virus, that is your resistance to infections or cancer is lost if you get the disease. So simple illness like common cold can become pneumonia and so on. But it takes long time, say about 10 to 20 yrs to get the full blown disease, so its wise to see a general medical/ infectious disease specialist right now to do the best.

The window period is the time between the infection of the person with HIV and appearance of the results on blood tests. So window period ranges from 30 days to 180 days depending on the test, testing kit's manufacturer's claim. Our standard kits are testing by ELISA method which range from 30 to 90 days. ELISA detects antibodies. The fastness with which antibody develops in response to a new HIV infection, and the ability of the tests to detect that antibody, indicate that the tests will pick up virtually all new infections by 6 weeks, and certainly by 8 weeks. Formally all physicians say to test till 90 days and in some case till 6 months.

Recent 4th Gen or DUO testing methods use HIV PCR RNA and p24 antigen testing whose window period is 4 weeks.

So I think you should XXXXXXX the Infectious disease specialist who can counsel you and inform about the testing tool he uses.

Dr. Srinivasan.