Had oral sex. HIV and CMIA combo test came non-reactive. What are my chances of getting HIV?

HIV AIDS Specialist
Sir, I had a HIV 1/2 & P24 Combo test (CMIA) 11 days after exposure, which was yesterday, which came non-reactive. my exposure was performing oral on a female csw. What are my chances of getting HIV?
Posted Thu, 14 Nov 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Negative CMIA test highly reliable.You are HIVfree

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX

Oral sex with a woman carries only a negligible risk towards HIV.
CMIA Combo test is very sensitive and interprets HIV infection very early, possibly within a weeks time after the infection.
You had the test after 11 days. It is highly reliable test.
You are almost free from HIV. To get it doubly sure the test may be repeated after 4 weeks or with a ordinary Rapid test after 12 weeks to make it doubly sure to rule out a late identification of the disease in rare cases.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow-up: Had oral sex. HIV and CMIA combo test came non-reactive. What are my chances of getting HIV? 51 minutes later
Sir, the test was from Dr Lals Path Labs in Delhi. On going through the report again, i noticed that while it says HIV 1/2 & P24 Combo test (CMIA) at one place, at other it mentions mentions only HIV 1 & 2 ANTIBODIES SCREENING TEST, SERUM @. Also in the comments below it says " NON REACTIVE RESULT IMPLIES THAT ANTIBODIES TO HIV 1/2 HAVE NOT BEEN DETECTED IN THE SAMPLE.... OR SAMPLE HAS BEEN TESTED BEFORE DETECTABLE LEVEL OF ANTIBODIES... ". Since, they have not mentioned about P24 antigens in the comments, Does it mean that they have tested for only antibodies, which appear much later and not antigens which appear earlier. If tat be so, then this test would not be of any consequence at this stage. Kindly clarify as i am really anxious about my exposure and losing sleep over it. Regards
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
COMBO test detects both antigen&antibodies of HIV

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

Combo test means that it has two parts both detection of Antigen and Antibodies against HIV.
So you need not worry about that .your test would be able to detect P24 Antigen if they were present in your body. The negative test clearly implies that you are free of HIV infection.
That statement about Antibodies is more explanatory about the Antibody detection. That does not mean it omits antigen detection.
Your anxiety in this aspect is unnecessary.
DR S.Murugan
Follow-up: Had oral sex. HIV and CMIA combo test came non-reactive. What are my chances of getting HIV? 27 hours later
sir, thank you for the answer and sorry for bringing up the topic again... but i would hope u would understand that it is because of the anxiety. Just wanted to seek some more clarification of following in light of wht u mentioned above :-
- While going through many other sites, i noticed that the general consensus is that the Combo test is of no use before two weeks after exposure at least, because the antigens are not 'detectable' before two weeks. So, would you really think that a Combo test after 11 days would be any indicator at all? (of course i would take up test again - but today is only 14th day).
- Some other experts on your site itself have replied to some people that giving unprotected oral sex to a woman is high risk for contracting HIV. May i reconfirm the actual stance on this issue.
Please pardon me because the above mentioned queries are in no way to argue your professional knowledge, but only to deal with the aftermaths of my foolish act.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
HIV Antigen test more confirmatory after 4 weeks.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Ap,
Welcome back. I understand your concern and you are free to ask your doubts.

I quoted that oral sex carries a very very low risk on the basis of Centers for Disease Control at Atlanta, USA, (One of the authority on infectious diseases guiding the medical fraternity world over) appearing still in their web site on risk of transmission for HIV. So the statement of mine is more reliable and you need not worry about your past sexual encounter.

Antigen to HIV can be picked up by these tests including Combo test as early as from the first week itself. If the antigen titre is very low in some individuals it may delayed to give a positive result. So only an antigen test done after 4 weeks becomes more conclusive than a test done earlier.
I think you got the point.
It is better for you to repeat the test after 28 days to have a more confirmed result that you are free fro HIV..

Follow-up: Had oral sex. HIV and CMIA combo test came non-reactive. What are my chances of getting HIV? 8 days later
Sir, I had two more HIV 1/2 & P24 Combo Tests (CMIA), since then - after completion of 15 days and 21 days from exposure from Dr Lals Path Labs at Delhi. The tests were Non Reactive with index values of 0.27 and 0.07 respectively.

Do You Think these tests are any indicator of my HIV status at this stage ?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Negative COMBO test confirms you are HIV free

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back

CMIA COMBO test is highly sensitive and highly specific.

Negative result of this test after 3 weeks confirms that you are HIV free, that is you are not infected with HIV.
Just forget about that sex encounter. Hereafter words try to stick to only safe sex to avoid unnecessary tension.
Have a good day.
Dr S.Murugan