Ask a Dentist   »  

Had mouth infection. Prescribed medicine with Stolin gum paint and gargle. Having canker sores in inner cheeks. What could be the reason?

I had mouth infection in last week of May. My dentist prescribed some medicine with Stolin gum paint and gargle. Got relief after that. from 9th XXXXXXX i started with having canker sores in inner cheeks both sides. Sores having pin holes and gets irritated very often. Giving discomfort while eating and making mouth bit stiff due to sores. Had visited ENT specialist twice and he found no major problem and recently prescibed couple of medicine which includes Hydeogen peroxide gargle, anti allergic medicine. Post that i visited dentist yesterday and he said that there still some infection in gums. What should be the reasons for long lasting sores.
Posted Sat, 13 Jul 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 32 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

I would like to mention few common reasons of oral sores:-

-Dental procedures (aggressive teeth cleaning, others)
-Heredity (runs in families)
-Viral infections (hand, foot and mouth disease, others)
-Food sensitivities (acidic foods or certain spices)
-Trauma (biting the tongue, inner surface of the cheeks)
-Hormonal factors (sometimes occur during premenstrual phase of cycle)

The following measures may decrease the frequency of his problem:

-Avoiding spicy or acidic foods, as well as any that can irritate the lining of the mouth (hardened pretzels, stale crust, nuts, others)
-Using a soft-bristled toothbrush, while also taking care to be gentle on the gums
Eating and chewing slowly so as to minimize the chance for biting the tongue, lip or inner cheek
-Using a mouth guard if you grind your teeth (and possibly bite your cheeks or tongue) at night

You need to rule out the cause & continue treatment as suggested by your dentist.

Hope I have answered your query.

For further query please let me know.

Follow-up: Had mouth infection. Prescribed medicine with Stolin gum paint and gargle. Having canker sores in inner cheeks. What could be the reason? 20 minutes later
Can a gum infection cause mouth sores and how long sore is not a concern point if regular visit to doctor is there
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 33 minutes later
I have already mentioned chief causes of mouth ulcers.
Gum infection rarely leads to mouth ulcer.
Generally mouth ulcer heals by its own but if it persists more than 3 weeks then you should consult dentist.