Had miscarriage. Blood test showed variable hcg level. What does this mean?

Yes, on friday I had a blood test done and my hcg levels were at 89, well that' s what the nurse said, today monday had another test done and was told levels went down to 21, and it looked like I had a miscarriage. But shouldn't the levels be at 0?? What does this mean?? Am I still pregna
Posted Sun, 14 Oct 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 3 hours later
I am sorry to know that HCG level is decreasing.
In healthy intrauterine pregnancy HCG level gets doubled every 48 hourly & if instead of increasing it starts decreasing means you have undergone miscarriage.
HCG level takes 7 days to come at zero even after loss of pregnancy.
I hope you can understand the situation.
I will be available for your further queries.