Had migraines resulting in distorted vision. No headache and normal BP. MRI showed microvascular change. Advise?

Nov 2013

I'm a 44 yr old woman & had migraines since I'm 11. Had episodes 3 wks apart where left side of left eye had distorted vision for about 40 minutes. Had no headache the 1st time. I don't need glasses & have healthy blood pressure & cholesterol. An MRI showed microvascular change. Did I have XXXXXXX strokes? Will I have a big stroke?
Posted Mon, 9 Sep 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
MRi findings can occur in migraine too

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that micro vascular changes on MRI brain are commonly found in patients with migraine of long-standing duration. So, we do not need to consider XXXXXXX strokes in your case.

I agree that XXXXXXX strokes also show similar findings on MRI, but in your case, it is less likely as you do not have risk factors for same.

A person with migraine alone does not have a higher risk of big strokes in future, unless there are other risk factors present such as smoking, high BP, cholesterol, sugars, use of oral contraceptive pills, family history of strokes, etc.

The only thing is if you have frequent attacks of migraine (3 or more per month), then, it would be better to take preventive migraine medications such as beta blockers, Topiramate, etc.

I hope it helps.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Follow-up: Had migraines resulting in distorted vision. No headache and normal BP. MRI showed microvascular change. Advise? 2 hours later
Why do u think I had the distorted vision?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Distorted vision could be XXXXXXX of migraine

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

Visual symptoms including distorted vision can occur as part of visual XXXXXXX which commonly occurs before headaches in migraine.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)