Had massage for penis. Applied lotion on penis before massage. Chances of HIV?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2014
Dec 2014

Psychiatrist
Question
I went to a body massage parlor. After an hour the girl offered a penis massage. She applied one lotion in penis with the rollon head touching my penis head ( lotion was in a small bottle with a plastic ball at the head. similar to the bam used of headache). My worry is the same bottle might be used on some other man. Thought she did massage me for an hour, before applying that. Can I get infected with HIV ?
Posted Sun, 13 Oct 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hello

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX

You got massage from a massage parlor and they used lotion bottle that touched the shaft of penis. If we think theoretically then there is no risk of transmission of HIV virus from any inanimate object. If you didnt have any visible injury on your penis then there is no risk of transmission.

But any minor chance should not be left overlooked. In massage parlors the lotion are being applied on penis in erected state and individual remain excited through out message. In excited state penis secretes pre-cum or penis secretions. These secretions can carry HIV virus. In common massage parlors the bottles are cleaned properly each time and they are refilled again and again after cleaning only. In some each time disposable bottle is used. I would advise you to please check from the parlor about the levels of hygiene and mode of precautions being followed in parlor.

Most likely they might be using separate bottles each time and if that is not the case then they might be cleaning the bottles each time.

I would like to tell you that the chances of spread in such case is almost nil but still to be on safer side you can check any injuries on your penis and if possible enquire from massage parlor.

Hope this helps you, if you have more questions you can ask again.

Thanks

Follow-up: Had massage for penis. Applied lotion on penis before massage. Chances of HIV? 11 minutes later
Thanks doctor. I dont have any injury in penis.. Again she did body massage for 60 mins before touching my penis. She was also wearing gloves. Whats your view ?

Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello again

Detailed Answer:
If you were not having any injury to penis then there is no risk of transmission. She was wearing gloves so probably other hygiene conditions were also good at that center. Best is to avoid thinking about this again as this will cause stress only. If possible enquire from massage parlor about use of bottle.

Thanks, you can ask again if you have more queries.

Follow-up: Had massage for penis. Applied lotion on penis before massage. Chances of HIV? 25 minutes later
Thanks doctor!!
I think i ll be in stress for few more days before i forget this incident . Shall i do a test after month ?

Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello

Detailed Answer:
You can go for test after one month in order to get relieved from your stress and tension.

Still if you are having a little thing in mind about poor hygiene and contamination of that bottle, you can consult a doctor and if required go for prophylaxis therapy. The therapy is difficult as there are disturbing side effects with medicines like nausea, abdominal upset etc. I am again telling you that there is no need for that therapy and there are almost nil chances of infection so don't take stress for that.

thanks, wish you a great health

Follow-up: Had massage for penis. Applied lotion on penis before massage. Chances of HIV? 9 hours later
One final clarification DOC. Don't be upset.
Can HIV virus survive in the lotion for 60 mins?

Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello again

Detailed Answer:
I want you to note two points-

- HIV virus survives only for few minutes in dried surfaces if it was transmitted from infected individual. Also if it is in moist surface it can survive a little longer, may be few hours. How ever lab transmissions can survive longer.

- Second, there is no known case so far where the transmission occurred via inanimate objects.

And I want you to reassure that you have nil chances of getting infection.

If you have more doubts you can ask again, Thanks