Ask a Dentist   »  

Had lesions in mouth and tongue, been on anti-fungal medication. Now on clotrimazole. Further?

For about 6 weeks now I have had lesions in my mouth and on my tongue. I been to a doctor three times and been on anti-fungal medication. After going off the first medicine (sorry, I don't remember the name) the lesions came right back with a vengenance. I am now on Clotrimazole 10 mg three times a day. Lesions are better, but new ones continue to appear, very painful. In the past 15 months I lost both parents, health and age, expected. However, 6 months ago I lost my husband of 42 years, totally unexpected, so have had a lot to deal with. Doctor thinks I have been under a lot of stress, which has affected my immune system, and thus the lesions. However, I am concerned that this has gone on long enough and what is the source? Do I need blood work, a culture? I called the doctor again this morning and am to be referred to an ENT, but have not heard yet. Thank you for your time.
Posted Sun, 29 Sep 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Geographic tongue

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for sending the question.

It sounds like this might be a case of geographic tongue. I would suggest that you perform an Internet search to see if some of the pictures might represent something that is similar to what you're experiencing.

We do not have any medications which are known to resolve geographic tongue. Sometimes vitamin B supplements can be helpful.

Let me know what you find with comparing the images regarding geographic tongue. If you think this is what you're dealing with you might discuss this further with your doctor.

Thanks again for sending your question.

Dr. Galamaga