Had left testicular hydrocele surgery. Drain tube present. Fell uncomfortable and disappear into scrotum. What should I do?

General Surgeon
I had a left testicular hydrocele surgery 7 days ago and the drain tube is still present. I have a home care person visiting the last 4 days to remove 1cm per day. After yesterday it was very uncomfortable and continued to disappear into my scrotum. I would pull it out with santitary tweezers. Last night i could not find it and thought it fell out. I managed to push it out of my scrotum. Should it still be present as if we cut another cm today then who know where it will go. When i left the hospital i was told it would fall out in 3-4 days. My home care person is unsure. I went ot emergency last night and after 3 hours left.
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not a very serious issue as I understand.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX! Good evening. I am Dr Shareef, a general surgeon answering your query.

Hydocele TVT ( Tunica vaginslis testis) is one of the most frequently performed surgery in this part of the globe, so much so that even a fresh medical graduate post internship also becomes confident in performing the surgery independently, even though supervision by a surgeon is always advised.

The drain in an operated case of hydrocele TVT is left in the scrotal sac to prevent accumulation of blood and serum in the dead space created by hydrocelectomy. Usually there is minimal discharge of blood stained fluid for 24 to 48 hours if the hemostasis is well taken care of either by cautery, or by ligatures.
In this part of the globe, we are trained to remove the drain in after 24 to 48 hours depending on the amount of drainage. It might be kept for a longer time if there is persisting discharge. At least I have not come across any such occasion where I had to keep the drain in the scrotal cavity for more than 2 days.

The policy of cutting the drain gradually short by inches is to allow the remaining amount of fluid drained so that the dead space is obliterated which is not practiced much in this part of globe for a post op case of hydrocele when hemostasis is properly attained.

As you have noted in your history that you pulled it out with the help of a tweezers, I hope nothing has remained inside. If it would have remained there, you would be able to feel it as a foreign body inside the scrotum.

You have not mentioned as to why you went to the hospital emergency room last night and left after 3 hours.Anyways, the treatment modality remains the same for a drain in post op case of hydrocele.

I hope, you have got all the answers to your query. In case of any other doubt, please feel free to ask again. Thank you for choosing health care magic forum for your health query. Wishing you an early recovery. Good night. Dr Shareef.