Had knee injury, broken ligament. How to treat this?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I had a knee injury in my right leg today and I have been told by the doctor that the ligament has broken. Kindly let me know the general guidelines, time line for recovery and post recovery situations
Posted Fri, 12 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 7 hours later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

The ability of a torn ligament to heal depends on a variety of factors, including anatomical location, presence of associated injuries, and selected treatment modality, as well as various systemic and local factors. Clinically, a grade I or grade II medial collateral ligament injury will heal within 11 to 20 days, but a grade III medial collateral ligament tear may take years to heal.

Sprains can occur in any or all of four knee ligaments. The medial collateral ligament(MCL) is the ligament most commonly injured.

First-degree sprains and strains are treated conservatively with rest from the offending activity, with special consideration given to avoiding rotational or loading work to the knee. Ice, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), light knee wraps, and muscle strengthening exercises may be included in conservative treatment.

Second-degree sprains or strains are often treated with braces that restrict but do not eliminate knee motion. It is critical to regain complete extension and flexion of the knee after injury while restricting rotation. Physical therapy modalities to decrease inflammation, strengthen muscles, and restore balance are an integral part of the treatment.

Third-degree sprains may require surgical intervention for repair or reconstruction of the torn tissue. The decision to repair or reconstruct a ligament is based on the amount of instability, likelihood of increased injury without repair, number of ligaments injured, and any associated injuries.

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you speedy recovery...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.