Ask a Urologist   »  

Had kidney infection. Have sharp pains, stomach is hurting, along with nausea and vomiting. Suggest?

Jul 2016

I was at the doctor yesterday for a kidney infection. Yesterday only one side was hurting now both sides are hurting, sharp pains, and my stomach is hurting, along with nausea and vomiting, which are new from yesterday. Should I go back to the doctor or wait it out?
Posted Sat, 29 Jun 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 31 minutes later
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have severe pain in abdomen and vomiting sensation since yesterday.

I shall be happy if you can post few more details to make comments on your problem.
1) Do you have fever ?
2) Do you have any urinary symptoms like burning, increased frequency etc ?

Please get following basic tests done t find out and help to diagnose your problem.
1) Routine urine test.
2) Ultrasound scanning of the abdomen to rule out possibility of urinary stone.either in Kidney or Ureter.
A help and guidance of a qualified Urologist will be of much help in resolving your problems.
Please consult qualified Urologist for clinical evaluation and further treatment.
In the mean while take antispasmodics like Spasmoproxivon after consulting your family Physician.
Hope I have answered your query.
Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions I shall be happy to help you.
Thanks with Regards.

Follow-up: Had kidney infection. Have sharp pains, stomach is hurting, along with nausea and vomiting. Suggest? 7 minutes later
I do not have a fever. I've been having this pain since Tuesday, I went to the doctor yesterday and was diagnosed with a severe kidney infection. However I'm not feeling much better, matter of fact I'm feeling worse. When it started I was only having pain in my left flank. I woke up today with pain in both flank areas, nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain.

The doctor did a CT of my abdomen and said that there were no kidney stones and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Also was stated I had some hematuria when viewed under a microscope
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 40 minutes later
Thanks for feedback.In absence of kidney stones and presence of RBC in urine is suggestive of some renal l paranchymal pathology may be Pyelonephritis or Glomerulo Nephritis.
Please get following tests done
1)Routine Urine test with Dip Stick test to see level of protein urea.
2)Kidney function tests and urine culture done to confirm the diagnosis.
Please consult qualified Nephrologist or Urologist for proper clinical assessment and further management.
Please take broad spectrum antibiotic to combat infection.
Thanks and Regards.